Good Evening Everyone,
My name is Josh Hankins and I'll be your child's head coach for the upcoming fall baseball season. I'm looking forward to the start of the season and to meeting everyone!
Some quick background on me.... I played baseball my entire childhood all the way through college so I've been around the game for a while and had the opportunity to learn a lot of information from some good coaches and players that I look forward to passing on to your children. I coached Single A last year as well so I've had some experience with the pitching machine we will be using this season. For those parents that have not been in Single A before, the pitching machine is a little different than what some other leagues in NOVA may use at this age. It will take time for the kids to get used to it so try not to get discouraged if they are struggling to hit the ball the first few practices. We will be hitting off the pitching machine every practice to ensure each kid is getting comfortable with it and working on their timing.
A few important pieces of information prior to the season kicking off:
1. Our practices will be every Wednesday at 5:30pm. Our first practice will be next Wednesday, 8/26. All of our practices will be held at Vint Hill Field #2. Practices will typically be about 1.5 hours long.
2. For the first practice please try and be 5-10 minutes early because each parent must review and sign the Parent Code of Conduct at the first practice.
3. I believe our jersey's will be navy blue so I would suggest grey baseball pants. Please also get a black belt. In my opinion it doesn't matter what color socks each kid wears since most wear their pant legs all the way down covering the socks.
4. Little League rules make it mandatory that all male players wear a cup so please be sure to purchase one, if you haven't done so already.
5. As of right now I have two assistant coaches, but at this age you can never have too many coaches so if anyone is interested in helping out then please fill out the Volunteer Application on the GFBLL website. For the safety of the kids, the Volunteer Application must be completed prior to any parent assisting with the team so that the league can run a background check. My recommendation would be for every parent to fill out the application because everyone has busy schedules and there may be instances where someone may need to help out.
If anyone has any questions or needs to get in touch with me please don't hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 540-710-3654.
Thanks and I'll see everyone next week!